Newcastle’s Premier League game against Aston Villa threatens to be postponed after the club’s training ground was closed on Monday due to a coronavirus outbreak.
Steve Bruce confirmed after Friday’s 2-0 win at Crystal Palace that three players and one employee had tested positive for the virus.
Further testing over the weekend is said to have produced more positive results and it is unclear when the first-team squad can return to training at the club’s Benton headquarters.
Newcastle travel to Villa Park for the opener on Friday night but could ask for the game to be postponed if the outbreak accelerates in the coming days.
The game would be the first to be postponed in the Premier League as the first wave of infections forced the entire major league to a standstill in March.
Read more: What does Steve Bruce want from his Newcastle? Whatever it is, fans deserve it better than this
The Premier League has previously issued guidelines to clubs that postponements should only be made if a club has fewer than 14 older players – 11 starters plus three substitutes.
After Friday’s win at Selhurst Park, Bruce said the developing situation at St. James’ Park Club is « worrying » and « difficult to tackle ». .
« My concern is not just the wellbeing of the players, which is of the essence, but my staff too. We’ll do our best, but it’s difficult right now. ”
The Premier League reported in the last test round between 23. and 29. November 10 new cases of Covid-19 from 1. 381 samples.
Premium Independent Comments can be posted by members of our Independent Premium membership program. It enables our most dedicated readers to discuss the big issues, share their own experiences, discuss real-world solutions, and much more. Our journalists will try to respond by joining the topics when they can to create a real meeting of independent premium. The most insightful comments on all topics are published daily in special articles. You can also be notified by email when someone replies to your comment.
The existing Open Comments threads will remain for those who do not subscribe to Independent Premium. Due to the size of this comment community, we cannot pay the same attention to every post, but we have preserved this section in the interest of an open debate. Please continue to respect all commentators and have constructive debates.
Would you like to bookmark your favorite articles and stories for later reading or reference? Start your Independent Premium subscription today.
Newcastle United F. . C.. . , Premier League, Aston Villa F. . C.. . , Coronavirus, Steve Bruce
EbeneMagazine – GB – The closure of the Newcastle training ground puts the Aston Villa game at risk
. . Related title :
– Newcastle&’s trip to Aston Villa threatens to be postponed after Covid-19 training ground closes
– Aston Villa& # 39; Stance on Newcastle United after Magpies& # 39; COVID-19 outbreak
– Aston Villa v Newcastle United at risk – what the Premier League rules Say
– Newcastle training ground will be closed on Tuesday after coronavirus outbreak
– Newcastle&’s game in Aston Villa when in doubt about Covid
– Newcastle&’s trip to Aston Villa on Friday is due to a Covid-19 outbreak on . . .
– Premier League game postponed more and more frequently after the coronavirus outbreak
– Newcastle fans urge Steve Bruce to give Matty Longstaff more playing time on exit rumors
– Newcastle&’s game at Aston Villa is the first Premier League game to be postponed due to a local Covid-19 outbreak . . .
– Revealed! Statistics show how & # 39; earned & # 39; Newcastle United & Man Utd won last weekend